Legal Action Center
In addition to our daytime programming, Legal Action Center (LAC) will be present to provide free services for Bring Down The Walls guests during the hours below. LAC is the only non-profit law and policy organization in the United States whose sole mission is to fight discrimination against people with criminal records, histories of addiction, or HIV/AIDS, and to advocate for sound public policies in these areas.
LAC will be on-site May 5 from 6-9PM, May 12 from 3-6PM, and May 19 from 3-6PM.
The Legal Action Center will be providing help with a variety of issues, such as:
– How to apply for Certificates of Relief or Good Conduct;
– Whether to obtain a copy of your NYS RAP Sheet and how to do so;
– Information about one’s rights when seeking a job or license with a criminal record;
– Information about NYC’s Fair Chance Act – the “ban the box” law;
– Initial screenings for sealing eligibility; and
– Other reentry services.
LAC can also help with questions relating to discrimination based on HIV or drug/alcohol addiction, privacy rights relating to HIV or substance use treatment records, and access to insurance coverage for addiction treatment.
Stop by LAC’s booth at Bring Down The Walls to learn more about your rights and get your questions answered!
87 LAFAYETTE STREET
MAY 5, MAY 12, AND MAY 19
2PM – 6AM
24 HOUR GRAND FINALE!
NOON SATURDAY – NOON SUNDAY