Legal Action Center
In addition to our daytime programming, Legal Action Center (LAC) was present to provide free services for Bring Down The Walls guests. LAC is the only non-profit law and policy organization in the United States whose sole mission is to fight discrimination against people with criminal records, histories of addiction, or HIV/AIDS, and to advocate for sound public policies in these areas.
LAC was on-site May 5 from 6-9PM, May 12 from 3-6PM, and May 19 from 3-6PM.
The Legal Action Center provided help with a variety of issues, such as:
– How to apply for Certificates of Relief or Good Conduct;
– Whether to obtain a copy of your NYS RAP Sheet and how to do so;
– Information about one’s rights when seeking a job or license with a criminal record;
– Information about NYC’s Fair Chance Act – the “ban the box” law;
– Initial screenings for sealing eligibility; and
– Other reentry services.
LAC can also help with questions relating to discrimination based on HIV or drug/alcohol addiction, privacy rights relating to HIV or substance use treatment records, and access to insurance coverage for addiction treatment.