About Domino Sugar Factory
The Domino Sugar Factory, one of New York City’s architectural icons, dominates the waterfront of Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Built in 1856 by the Havemeyer family, it was the first of dozens of sugar refineries that contributed to the area’s emergence in the nineteenth century as the industrial center of the Port of New York.
By the end of the Civil War, the factory had become the largest sugar refinery in the world, employing over 4,000 workers and processing 3 million pounds of sugar a day–more than half of the sugar consumed in the entire country. After a fire in 1882, it was completely rebuilt to include the two grand brick buildings and distinctive smokestack that still stand today. The highly recognizable “Domino Sugar” sign was added the 1950s, transforming the 90,000-square-foot complex into a true New York City landmark.
Getting To Domino Sugar Factory
The Domino Sugar Factory is located at 316 Kent Avenue at South 1st Street.
From Manhattan Via Car
From Manhattan, take the Roebling Street / Broadway West exit off the Williamsburg Bridge.
Shortly after the exit, make a sharp right onto Broadway.
Drive .4 miles and turn right onto Kent Avenue.
Drive .2 miles and you will come to the entrance of The Domino Sugar Factory at Kent Avenue at South 1st Street.
The closest subways are the L at Bedford Avenue, the G at Metropolitan and the JMZ trains at Marcy Avenue. The Domino Sugar Factory is approximately a 15-20 minute walk from each stop heading west toward the East River.