Creative Time, New York City’s veteran and vanguard public arts presenter, seeks volunteers for one of our most exciting projects to date. May 10th will mark the opening of the first large-scale public project by Kara Walker, one of the most celebrated artists of our era.
At the Behest of Creative Time, Kara E. Walker has Confected:
A Subtlety or… The Marvelous Sugar Baby
An Homage To The Unpaid And Overworked Artisans Who Have Refined Our Sweet Tastes From The Cane Fields To The Kitchens Of The New World On The Occasion Of The Demolition Of The Domino Sugar Refining Plant
This exhibition will take place in the legendary Domino Sugar refinery in Brooklyn, New York. Sprawling over 90,000-square-feet, this industrial relic, and contemporary landmark will be seen as never before as Walker explores themes of related to the history of the sugar trade and it’s many implications.
The exhibition will run from May 10th to July 6th, and we are seeking dedicated and eager volunteers to help manage this once-in-a-lifetime project. Responsibilities will range from engaging with the public to ensuring the safety of the artwork.
• Facilitate public engagement by providing wayfinding and information services.
• Ensure safety of delicate artworks.
• Assist with light set-up and break-down of the refinery at the beginning and end of shifts.
• An insider’s view of a major site-specific public artwork, and the opportunity to learn about the production aspects of the project
• Experience working with the Creative Time staff
• Special access to Domino Sugar refinery’s unique spaces
• An opportunity to meet the artist, Kara Walker
• Receive a Creative Time thank you gift
The exhibition will be open from Saturday, May 10-Sunday, July 6. Exhibition hours are Fridays 4-8pm, and Saturdays and Sundays from 12-6pm.
We ask all volunteers to commit to at least three shifts.
• Friday shifts (3:30-8:30PM)
• Saturday/Sunday early afternoon shifts (11:30AM–3PM)
• Saturday/Sunday late afternoon shifts (3PM–6:30PM)
We hope you are interested in volunteering! Please email Creative Time at email@example.com with the following information:
1. Your name
2. Contact phone number
3. Number of shifts, and dates you can take