NOW SEEKING EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
TO JOIN OUR FIRST THINK TANK COHORT
Over the past 10 years, the Creative Time Summit has convened thinkers, dreamers, and doers working to develop strategies to meet our most pressing social and political issues. During this catalytic moment, we have been compelled to try something new. We are forming a non-sited group of boundary-pushing thinkers, each bringing distinct and varying perspectives from the fields of art, organizing, theory, and cultural production to think and imagine together over the course of 10 months. Adapting the “think tank” model, the cohort will cycle through phases of discussing, debating, planning, sharing, and implementing that explore new methodologies to dismantle exclusionary and colonialist modes of artistic creation and presentation and propel us into new forms of cultural praxis.
HOW DO WE DEVELOP ACTIONABLE WAYS OF
REALIZING THE CRITICAL SHIFTS NECESSARY FOR
A TRULY EQUITABLE CULTURAL SECTOR?
Initiated in response to the current demand to address the legacies of colonialism and systemic racism within our communities – a demand further catalyzed by the pandemic gripping our nation – this intervention builds upon the Creative Time Summit’s history of centering the voices of artists and creative practitioners in the development of tactics for political and social transformation.
While the group will shape and define itself as it forms, it will be anchored by a principle aim to develop direct ways to create the critical shifts required to build equitable and sustainable approaches to cultural production. Cohort members will be paid a fee of $10,000 each and will have access to administrative resources, production support, and the Creative Time network. Creative Time will work with cohort members with disabilities to provide accommodations. The cohort will together create and implement the process, goals, and outcomes of the Think Tank.
We are looking for individuals who have made a significant contribution to their field, think beyond the box, and are committed to stewarding change. Candidates will be identified from an open call, direct referrals, and recruitment. From January – October 2021, members will participate in twice monthly virtual meetings, regular correspondence, and cohort-produced public programs.
While the exact structure of the Think Tank will be defined by its members, we expect the group will use the following questions to guide guest-facilitated and self-directed conversations:
– What constitutes “the field” of cultural production and what are the dominant practices of governance, value creation, and assessment?
– Do alternative modes of knowledge production currently exist in regards to art practice, cultural labor, education, and training for the field? What new forms need to be created?
– What ideological, cultural, and structural shifts are required to steward transformative change?
– What are we building towards?
The cohort will create:
– Three opportunities for public engagement and exchange to be produced collaboratively, with support from Creative Time
– A final output for the public domain (this could be, but is not limited to formats including: a plenary, video series, lecture, performance, or publication to be produced with support from Creative Time)
– A set of recommendations that shape and influence the next iteration of the Creative Time Summit
HOW TO APPLY
Please express your interest by using our application portal linked here. We recommend that you read the FAQ before submitting an application. If you have any questions during the application process please contact us at email@example.com. In addition to the required fields requested in the application portal, you will be asked to submit the following documents:
– CV (Maximum 2 pages and should include contact information for 3 references who can speak to working directly with you)
– Supporting materials demonstrating your practice or work (to include links to websites of your work or exhibition portfolio, images & descriptions of projects, articles, essays, etc.)